Unity – is it possible?
BSL translation coming soon.
Following on from Dennis’ post on The Talkie (albeit focused on unity within the Deaf community in the USA), it would be interesting to see whether unity can be achieved within the Deaf1 community in the UK. With this in mind, I’d like to ask each of these groups of Deaf people what they’d like to see happen in the UK, to establish whether the various groups have any common denominations with which to unite. Here are a few suggestions, based on my personal experience and observations.
- Legal protection for BSL, in the form of a BSL Act;
- Improved access to mainstream services;
- Better subtitling and more BSL on TV channels and the web; and
- Education through BSL (for Deaf and hearing)
- Improved access to digital hearing aids;
- Inclusion in the Deaf community;
- Recognition of the right to use oral means of communication without criticism; and
- Better subtitling on TV channels and the web.
Hard of hearing
- Improved access to hearing aids; and
- Better subtitling on TV channels and the web
Quite surprising how many common aims these groups have.
What else do these groups of Deaf people want from society today? Discuss.